Wednesday 14 December 2016

Review: November Tokyo Treat Box

Hi everyone and welcome back to another Tokyo Treat review!

If there is one thing I love its when my Tokyo Treat box arrives each month but what I hate even more is when it doesn't arrive which was nearly the case with this box. It took over  35 days to arrive hence why this review has fallen in to December rather than November.


Usually my box arrives between the 10th and the 20th of the month but Tokyo Treat advise that the boxes could come anytime between the 20th and 28th so as is got closer to the 28th I grew more and more concerned that it wasn't coming  and I could see by the likes of social media that I wasn't alone.

I started this subscription back in March and it has really zoomed by and I have enjoyed every box so far its just filled with a great variety of snacks and candy which I would never choose myself. This months theme is all about Japan's most Iconic Snacks that have been Japan's favourites for years!


As always here is the booklet which they provide so you can see the full descriptions of the items along with my thoughts and comments below;




Items Received:
 Instead of writing in"Italic" what the products are as mentioned in the little book provided I will just give my own comments along with pictures and a rating out of 5 so here goes ...

Baked Limited Edition Sweet Potato Flavour (5+)
I love sweet potato fries, mash and everything sweet potato but when it comes to snacks that are made out of sweet potato it kind of freaks me out haha and that's just because its a bit weird. These though are amazing and I wouldn't even say they tasted like sweet potato but they tasted very sweet and were crispy on the outside but soft on the inside!

Chocolate Pie (3/5)
Looking at the packet it looks like a sausage roll from the outside haha but its actually the same consistency pastry wise but is filled with chocolate. It was nice but there wasn't enough chocolate for my liking!

Calbee Seaweed & Salt Chips (5/5)
Calbee are my favourite brand of Japanese chips what ever the flavour they just taste amazing. These are just a simple chip that are salted and have a hint of seaweed. Simple but really tasty.

Baked Sweet Potato Yokan
OK so I haven't eaten this one yet! Its currently just sat there staring at me and the though of eating makes me feel weird especially when you can feel the consistency through the packet and the photos I've seen online I just don't know haha.

Whistle Ramune (5/5)
These were great fun and tasty. Ramune is one of my favourite flavours and the added fact that they are a whistle is amazing even though if its a high pitch irritating noise.

Mayotara (0/5)
Eww Eww Eww! The only good thing about this is the mayonnaise as for the dried fish it was chewy and tasted awful.

Coris Fruit & Vegtable Shop Chewing Candy (5/5)
Yaya another DIY kit that I actually was able to do and didn't end up just eating the contents and not actually make anything. I loved that if you mixed some of the chewy candys together they made other colours and tasted yummy.

Caramel Corn Apple Pie Flavour (10+)
After having Peach Caramel Corn in my first  box back in March I was super excited to see that they have included the seasonal edition of Apple Pie it did not disappoint at all. They are kinda like a corn puff snack that packs flavour and just melts in your mouth very addictive.

Umaitama - Chocolate (5+)
So the popular company that make Umaibo which are amazing released a new snack in Japan recently and Tokyo Treat managed to get they're hands on some for the box and I am so glad they did. Essentially these are like Profiteroles but without the cream and are little bites of heaven I'm gutted I shared them haha.

Shigekix Mikan Gummy (5/5)
I've actually had these before but in Cola flavour. These are an orange flavour and taste amazing but are so sour and bitter, your face does actually go like the character on the packet ha especially if you eat a few at a time ha.

Kinako Stick (0/5)
So according to the description this is a semi soft chewy candy which is covered in roasted soybean flour which tastes awful and to the fact that it went right in the bin. It tasted like fish and it threw me right off and it didn't really smell all that nice either.

Re-ment Omusubi-Kororin Mascot (5/5)
One of Japan's many blind boxes and one of the first I have ever had. I am happy with the one I got its good quality and I have actually put it on my handbag.

Fujya Nectar Peach Juice (5/5)
So many of my friends have travelled to Japan and said how much they loved this drink and how much of it they drank when they were visiting so when Tokyo Treat decided to included this in they're box I was super excited to give it a try as I wasn't really sure what to expect. I've never had fruit juice in a can so wasn't sure how it was going to tasted or whether it would be fizzy or flat but it didn't disappoint it was lovely and sweet and very refreshing.

Morinaga Milk Caramel (5/5)
I KNEW I HAD SEEN THESE BEFORE!!!!!! I am a massive Ghibli fan and when I saw these were being featured I was so excited as there has been many occasions that I have nearly purchased them in a different variation with the little girl from Totoro on the packet. These were also mentioned in the movie as well.

These were amazing and the packet was full to the brim as they are small little chewy caramels which were very soft and not hard like other ones you can get. When you see the packet its very small but once you open the packet you are actually quite surprised at whats inside.

Genji Pie (5/5)
I was kind of expecting this to be like a pie in the way of constancy which in a way it was but deep fried? Like you could see layers of pastry through out the biscuit as I called it because to me that is what it was and very creamy. What was great that there was two inside which I didn't expect so was easier to share about. Very sweet in taste and would happily have this again.

Pocky Soft Milk Flavour (3/5)
Everyone loves Pocky and the random flavours that it comes in so that's why I really love seeing the different variety in my box from time to time. This months box we saw Soft Milk flavour Pocky and I did like it and the packaging was really cute but it tasted really plain? Like it was an overpowering taste. I would buy it again but I did enjoy it.

With it being December next month it only seems appropriate that the theme for the box is Christmas and I cannot wait to see what Christmas snacks will be inside. I have seen a spoiler for the box already and that is the drink which is Cream Stew Ramune flavour and to be honest the thought of this makes me feel sick haha but I will give it a try and see what I think!

You can read my other Tokyo Treat box reviews for MarchAprilJuneAugustSeptember and October here:)

Thanks for reading. I purchased this with my own money and I was NOT paid to review this by Tokyo Treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment