Tuesday 29 March 2016

Review: March Tokyo Treat Box

I have been dead excited waiting for this box to come, for a while now I have always wanted to try out one of these food subscription boxes and after an add popped up on Facebook for a company delivering Japanese candy to your door it was a must do for me!

After lots of looking around on the web at what was available I narrowed it down to 3 options and took to Instagram/Youtube to see what people had posted and Tokyo Treats had won my vote.

Who Are Tokyo Treats:
Tokyo Treats are a Japan based company who provide a subscription service that delivers premium Japanese snacks and candy right to your front door on a monthly basis.

What drew me to chose them was that all they're subscriptions contains full size treats only and no small sample products which a lot of other boxes do. They all come direct from Japan and are all authentic products.

Free delivery worldwide is always a great bonus as the price you see is the price you will pay no additional extra costs on top making the subscription more expensive.


Subscriptions:
They offer 3 different sized subscriptions containing a variety of snacks and candy with the premium box containing a drink and a surprise gift which I think is great!

Small:
$14.99 USD/month
5/7 Full Size Japanese Candy and Snacks
Up to 1lbs in weight

Regular:
$24.99 USD/month
8/12 Full Size Japanese Candy and Snacks
1 DIY Candy Kit
Up to 1.5lbs in weight

Premium:
$34.99 USD/Month
13/17 Full Size Japanese Candy and Snacks
1 DIY Candy Kit
1 Drink
1 Special Item (i.e special drink, premium DIY Kit, High quality toy)

For this review I purchased a regular box which cost me £18.51 in GBP which is very reasonable for what you actually receive.

What is great is that you can cancel your subscription at any time or upgrade/downgrade whenever you like.

As I was short of money when purchasing this box I have already upgraded my subscription to the premium box for next month because its they're 1st year anniversary so are planning a special box and whats even better is they are offering a great discount at the moment for life!

The Box Itself:
So my box was posted from Japan on the 29th February and I was told this should arrive between the 20th/28th March and I received my box on the 23rd March.
 

The box includes this cute little booklet which contains the names and product information of everything that is included in the box and the other 3 subscriptions as well. It also has a very helpful page on how to make the DIY kits that are include inside the Regular and Premium boxes along with lots of other cool things and competitions.

Items Received:
In my box I received 10 different items ranging from candy to snacks and I've tried each one and rated them out of 5. As mentioned above the box comes with a cute little booklet that tells you what is included in your box and what everything is. So below as well as my comments I've written the description of the products below in "Italic"

Hello Kitty Strawberry Biscuit Stick (4/5)
For the Sanrio lovers out there, we have the ultimate sweet treat for you! Enjoy rich strawberry frosting topped upon crisps and delicate biscuit sticks
So these are essentially like Pocky and I love Pocky but I've never had the chance to try strawberry flavored ones and these were yummy and the fact that they come in a little Hello Kitty designed box is just a win win! 

Strawberry Wheat Chocolate (3/5)
These delicious nuggets of candy are something confectionery dreams are made of! Enjoy puffed and crispy wheat biscuit drop dipped in decadent strawberry for a sweet treat you will not be able to resist.
They sure love they're Strawberry flavor in Japan and there was nothing to dislike about these. Crunchy rice puffs covered in strawberry? What's not to like?


Punifua's Its Hard No To Be Happy with Old-Grape Taste Gummies (3/5)
These luscious gummy snacks are the most adorable and most enjoyable. Enjoy soft creamy texture of paw print kitty shaped gummies that are paired with an old age flavor of grape.
So I am a massive Grape lover but I didn't love these, don't get me wrong they were nice but they left a horrible after taste which I did not like one bit. The overall look of the product is so cute having animals on the front and shaped like paw prints was really cute but the taste for me not so.


Caramel Corn Peach-Flavored Hinamatsuri (5/5)
In honor of the well known Japanese doll festival or Hinamatsuri, enjoy this delicious serving of savory popped corn that yiu can see for sale during the time of this particular celebration in Japan. This Caramel Corn is combined with a peach flavor to an airy sweet experience with a burst of fruit.

So I was a little scared to try this because of the peach flavor and it being a savory product but I was highly surprised and fell in love with the sweet tasting corn! The texture of the product and the flavor was amazing and I cannot wait to try over variations as I know they did a special Christmas one as well.


Barbecue-Flavored Scones (5/5)
These delicious savory slivers of bread pack a huge punch! Enjoy a bold and smokey barbecue taste paired with a crisp and crunchy bread stick for the ultimate treat.
OK so I've rated these 5 out of 5 people these are the best thing I have ever had and wish these were available in the UK! They remind me of the "Rib n Saucy Nick Nack" crisps but there are 100% better they are a lot thicker but have the same texture and the BBQ flavoring is perfect! Where can I get these?

Kracie's Kneading Land Grape Soda (2/5)
Enjoy playing with your food? We have an awesome DIY Kit that we know you will love! This candy kit features grape flavored fondant in various colors that you can shape into whatever you like, Kit comes with with instructions to make a couple of example designs.  
So I did attempt to be all creative but I failed and ended up just eating all the bits inside which I have to say tasted very yummy with them being Grape flavor. The only reason I gave it a low rating is because I'm not very creative.

Tyrol Sakura Shiriejo (2/5)
These robust and luxury candies are made and inspired in the shape of the Italian panna cotta dish. Enjoy a hint of floral Sakura blossom flavor mixed with cherry to give you the true Japanese feeling of spring.
So these were totally weird, I thought they were going to be soft and squishy but they weren't they are hard with a jelly filling. There was two flavors and I am not sure which was which but looking at the packet I preferred the one on the right as it was more subtle taste the other one I thought tasted awful but my mum really liked it so.

Strawberry Cotton Candy (5/5)
As puffy as a cloud, enjoy traditional cotton candy that you would maybe see at a Japanese festival of  Carnival. The strawberry flavor paired with the fluffy cotton feel to the candy is a nostalgic experience for almost everyone.
So this is basically Candy Floss which I love so when I saw this in the packet I was so excited to try it. The Strawberry flavor was amazing and very very sweet and such a cute little designed packet. Definitely one of my top 3!

Hi-Chew Honey Kumquat (4/5)
This unique chewy candy is a limited edition from Hi-Chew! Enjoy the soothing flavors of Honey and Kumquat that will ease you through irritation and also are delicious to the taste.
Hi-Chew are some of my favorite soft candy from Japan with Grape being my favorite flavor so when I saw the chance to try one that I didn't even know existed it was great with it being limited edition. These were very sweet and you could taste the honey more than anything.

Bourbon Usuyaki Mix (2/5)
Enjoy three types of flavors, onion, tomatoes and spinach over savory crackers that satiate that salty craving that you have! A combination of these three flavors packed with bourbon sauce taste gives an unforgettable experience in a crack snack. 
So I wasn't overly fussed with these as I am more of a sweet person than savory. I think the flavors were pretty bland and they tasted the same but the texture was nice.


Verdict:
Overall I was really happy with the items I have received as there is a good variety of snacks and candy to try and they're all full sized and no taster packets. The value for money even without the offer is excellent although shipping does take a while they do aim to have the box delivered with in a certain time frame in which mine did.

Maybe tracking could be provided but would that make it more expensive who knows? I have actually ordered my April box and gone for the Premium this time as the offer was such a good deal and I couldn't resist. I am dead excited to try the Sakura Pepis in my next box so I shall try and review then!

Thanks for reading. This is my first review so any feedback is most welcome :D as stated above this was purchased with my own money and I was NOT paid to review this by Tokyo Treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment